In Episode #3 of The Wandering DP Podcast we chat to Belgian cinematographer Bjorn Charpentier in the first of this two part interview.
Bjorn is a gifted cienamtographer with a client list including Visa, Coca-Cola, the European Parliament, Nike, Leica and many many more.
In the first part of this interview we hear how he got his start in film making as a clapper loader and how purchasing a RED One just before the 2008 financial crisis helped set him up for success. We go in to detail on how he gets his jobs, how he prepares, what equipment he takes with him, and why gaffers don’t really have much to do on his sets.
Bjorn lays out his style and his techniques for shooting major campaigns and he breaks down his commercial work for Samsonite.
In the follow up to this interview Bjorn sent through his lighting diagram for his commercial for the Red Cross. To get instant access to that PDF simply click on the button below.
Things You Will Learn in this Episode:
– How Bjorn got his start in cinematography
– Why he loves shooting anamorphic
– Why he likes to own his gear, including an Arri Alexa package and a RED Epic package
– How he works with natural light – What he looks for when scouting locations for these big budget travel projects
Links and Resources Mentioned in this Episode
- Bjorn Charpentier’s Website
- Samsonite Commercial – Shot by Bjorn
- The Rock – Directed by Michael Bay
- Elite Anamorphic Lenses – Bjorn’s Personal Choice for Anamorphics
- Directors: Norman Bates
- Hannibal the TV Show
- Music Video – Bjorn’s First Anamorphic Piece
Bruno Aveillan’s Louis Vutton Commerical
Thanks for Listening
Thanks again for listening to the show. If you find the content valuable please share the podcast using the social media buttons on this page.
Also, reviews for the podcast on itunes are extremely helpful for the getting the word out about the show. If you can take a second to write an honest review that would be greatly appreciated. The more reviews the more people the show can reach and I do take on board all the comments to try and make the show as good as possible.
And lastly, don’t forget to subscribe on Itunes or Stitcher to make sure you are always up to date with the latest episodes from the podcast or even better, sign up to The Wandering DP Newsletter to get automatic updates on new podcasts as well as blog posts and exclusive downloads. To join click the link below.